Ingredients (Serves 5)
- Chicken – 3/4 – 1 kg, cut into medium pieces
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tbsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 1.5 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Salt – To taste
3. Coconut oil / refined oil – 3 – 4 tbsp
4. Onion – 3 cups (1.5 large), thinly sliced or chopped
5. Ginger and garlic, crushed – 2 tbsp each
Dried red chilies – 3 – 4, broken
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
6. Tomato – 1 large, cut into small cubes
Green chilies – 3, slit
7. Butter – 1 – 2 tbsp or to taste
- Marinate chicken pieces with ingredients numbered 2. Set aside for at least 2 hrs or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out 30 mts before cooking.
2. Heat oil in a pan over medium-high. Add onion, little salt and saute till onion turns golden brown. Drain on to a paper towel.
3. To the remaining oil – Add the marinated chicken pieces, crushed ginger and garlic, curry leaves and mix well. Cook covered over medium heat, stirring occasionally till water oozes out from the chicken or for about 15 minutes. Open the lid and cook until water is mostly evaporated and chicken pieces are cooked through and roasted. Make sure you flip them once or twice in between. Add tomato and curry leaves. Cover and cook for a few minutes. Add fried onion and mix well. Finally add butter. Cover and cook for a minute. Mix well. It tastes absolutely yummy. Serve with fried rice/porotta/pulao/chapathi etc.