Vegetable Masala Toast – Popular and delicious sandwiches that are sold in the Bangalore Iyengar bakeries. In this recipe, vegetables (carrot, cabbage, green bell pepper etc) are sautéed along with spices and then spread on a toast. You can have it for breakfast or as an evening snack or for kids’ lunchbox. Serve it as an open toast or grilled (top with shredded cheese and grill on a sandwich maker or on a tawa).
Ingredients (Serves 2 – 3)
1. Bread slices – 6
2. Butter / ghee / oil (preferably butter / ghee) – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
3. Onion – 3/4 cup, thinly sliced and halved
Green chilies – 2, finely chopped
Curry leaves – A few, torn
4. Carrots – 2 medium, shredded
Green capsicum – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced and halved
Cabbage – 1/3 cup, sliced and halved
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 pinch
7. Salt – To taste
8. Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp, chopped
9. Shredded cheese – 1/4 – 1/2 cup ( Add only if you plan to grill them. I used it in order to bind the veggies with the bread slices)
1. Heat 1 tbsp butter + oil / ghee in a pan over medium-high heat. Splutter mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add onions and saute until translucent. Next add carrot, capsicum and cabbage. Saute for 2 – 3 minutes adding enough salt. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and garam masala powder. Mix well and cook for a minute over low heat. Add chopped tomato and cook for 2 – 3 minutes. Check for salt. Add chopped cilantro and mix well. Switch off.
2. Apply butter / ghee on the bread slices and toast them. Spread the veggie mixture on a bread slice. Slice diagonally and serve immediately.
For grilled sandwich – Top with another bread slice. Grill sandwiches using a sandwich maker. OR Place on the tawa and press down using a spatula. When one side turns golden, flip to the other side and cook until cheese melts. Cut into halves and enjoy!