Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Chicken cutlets (thin sliced chicken breast) – 2 (You can either buy store bought chicken cutlets or you can slice the chicken breast in half horizontally through the middle to get a thin flat piece. Using a meat mallet, pound chicken cutlet to about 1/2 inch thick OR place chicken cutlet inside a ziplock and using a rolling pin roll till it achieves uniform thickness)
Salt and pepper – As required
2. All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
3. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
4. Bread crumbs (plain bread crumbs / panko bread crumbs, I used a mix of both) – 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
Garlic powder – 1/4 tsp
Onion powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
Salt – 1 pinch
5. Tomato sauce (I used store-bought marinara sauce) – 1/2 cup
6. Fresh mozzarella cheese and/or provolone cheese – 4 – 6 slices (you can use shredded mozzarella cheese instead)
7. Salt and pepper – As required to taste
1. Combine all the other ingredients numbered 4.
2. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs. Press down to coat well.
4. Preheat air fryer at 400 F. You can bake / deep fry / shallow fry the chicken instead.
5. Place the prepared chicken pieces inside the air fryer. Spray with little oil. Air fry for 6 minutes on one side. Turn over to the other side. Spray with little oil. Air fry for 5 minutes. Top the air fried chicken cutlets with1/4 cup marinara sauce followed by 2 – 3 slices of mozzarella cheese and 2 – 3 tsp grated parmesan cheese (optional). Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt and pepper on the cheese slices.
7. Air fry for 3 – 4 minutes until cheese melts and turns light golden on the edges. Sprinkle chopped basil leaves or fresh parsley and serve immediately with a side of pasta/salad/ steamed/roasted vegetables / mashed potato. Enjoy!!