Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
Recipe courtesy -Slightly adapted from Swad Cuisine by Swapna Rajesh
- Chicken – 1/2 kg, cut into medium pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As required
- Shallots – 12 – 15
Dried red chilies (regular + kashmiri) – 8 – 10
Ginger – 1 inch
Garlic – 5
Fennel seeds – 3/4 tsp
Green cardamom – 3
Water – 3/4 cup
- Ghee – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Onion – 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Combine the chicken pieces with turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt. Set aside for 30 minutes.
- Cook the ingredients numbered 2 for about 15 minutes till moisture is completely evaporated. Set aside to cool down completely. Grind to a fine paste, adding water if required.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add curry leaves, ground paste and cook well for 5 – 8 minutes over low heat. Add marinated chicken pieces, sliced onion and mix well. Cook for 4 – 5 minutes. Cover and cook for 10 – 15 minutes till chicken is 3/4th done. Open the lid and cook till chicken gets well-coated with the masala. Add garam masala powder. Cook for a minute and switch off the flame. Serve with porotta/appam/pathiri/idiyappam/pulao etc.
I am amazed that the author of this recipe calls it a Kerala Ghee Roast. Either she has no clue of Geography and has simply appropriated it. Kerala has nothing to do with Ghee Roast. Ghee Roast was started in a restaurant in Kundapura in Karnataka. So it is very popular in and around Mangalore and Udupi. It is popularly called as Mangalorean ghee roast.
Sorry, what made you think that this is Mangalore chicken ghee roast? This is a Kerala style chicken roast made using ghee instead of the usual coconut oil so thought of naming it as Kerala chicken ghee roast. Mangalore chicken ghee roast recipe is different from this one.
Hello Ms. Maya,
I couldn’t find Paneer butter Masala recipe here. Could you please share? I always enjoyed your cooking videos in Instagram and u r going great and all the best for more success and achievements!
Thank you so much! 🙂
Here’s the recipe link..
Thank you ❤️🤗
Lol idiot. Don’t hate on the author though.
Looks delicious. Do you use branded garam masala or your own recipe? If the latter, please share it.
I use homemade garam masala powder..Heres the recipe,
Recipe for Garam Masala (Yield – Around 2 – 2.5 tbsp)
Fennel Seeds (Perumjeerakam)- 2 tbsp
Cloves (Grambu) – 10
Cinnamon stick (Karuvapatta) – 1.5 inch
Cardamom (Elaikka) – 8
Star anise (Thakkolam) – 1
Whole pepper (Kurumulaku) – 1/2 tsp
Poppy seeds (Kus Kus) – 1 tsp (optional)
Madam malayalamthiludem recipe edamo
sure, try cheyyame