Kappa Puzhukku / Mashed Tapioca
- Yuca Root/Kappa/Tapioca / Cassava - Around 3/4 kg or 1 packet of frozen sliced tapioca
- Grated Coconut – 1.5 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies - 4
- Garlic – 3 small cloves
- Cumin seeds/Jeerakam – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 – 3 sprigs
- Coconut oil – 1tbsp
- Salt – To taste
1. Coarsely grind or crush the grated coconut along with turmeric powder, 4 green chilies, garlic cloves, few curry leaves and cumin seeds in a blender.
2. Clean and chop the tapioca to small pieces. In a deep vessel boil the tapioca pieces with salt. When they are done, drain the water and return it to the original vessel.
3. Add salt and curry leaves to the drained tapioca and mash it adding the ground coconut mixture. Add a tbsp of coconut oil. Mix well. Check for salt. You can season it with mustard seeds (1/2 tsp), dry red chilies (1-2) and a few curry leaves. Serve hot with fish curry, beef curry or mulaku chammanthi.