Mexican Seven Layer Dip
Ingredients ( For 8 individual cups)
1. Refried beans – 1 can (Please check step 1 for home-made refried beans recipe)
2. Sour cream – 1 small container
3. Guacamole – 1 cup
4. Pico de gallo / tomato salsa – 1 cup
5. Green bell pepper and spring onion, chopped – 1/2 cup each
6. Shredded cheddar / Mexican blend cheese – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
7. A small can of sliced olives, drained
8. Tortilla chips – To serve
1. To prepare refried beans – Soak 3/4 cup pinto beans for 7 – 8 hours. Pressure-cook for about 2 whistles adding around 1.5 cups of water / chicken stock, until it turns really soft and easily mashable. Open the cooker. Reserve 1/2 cup cooking liquid so that you can use it later in case the mashed beans is very thick in consistency. Mash the cooked beans well with a potato masher. In a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil at medium heat. Add 2 cloves of minced garlic and 1/4 cup finely chopped onion. Saute until onion changes color. Add mashed beans, salt to taste, 1 tsp chilly powder, pinch of pepper powder and 1/2 tsp cumin powder. Cook for a few minutes until thick and creamy. Switch off.
2. To assemble the layered dip:
In a large platter or 8 – 10 individual plastic containers, spread the refried beans followed by sour cream, guacamole, tomato salsa, chopped green bell pepper and spring onion, shredded cheese and sliced olives. Serve with tortilla chips.
Adapted from here