- Boneless chicken – 250 gm , cut into small pieces
- Potato – 2 medium sized
- Thai Green chillies chopped very fine – 6-7 (You can skip it and use 1 tsp chilly powder instead)
- Ginger, finely chopped – 2 tbsp
- Garlic, finely chopped – 2 tbsp
- Curry leaves – Few, chopped
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 3 tbsp, chopped
- Pepper powder – 1 ½ tsp
- Garam masala powder – 2tsp
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Egg white – of 2 eggs
- Bread crumbs -Around 1/2 cup
- Oil – For deep-frying
This yields around 20-25 cutlets
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with turmeric, salt, pepper powder(1/2 tsp), chopped ginger and garlic(1/2 tsp each) for around 1 hr. Pressure cook for 1-2 whistles. Set aside to cool.
2. Mince the cooked chicken.
3. Cook the potatoes and mash it well with little salt and turmeric.
4. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Sauté until light brown.
5. Add the chopped green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté until their raw smell is gone.
6. Add the pepper powder, garam masala powder and salt.
7. Now add the minced chicken and potatoes. Mix well and add lemon juice, coriander leaves and curry leaves. Check for salt and add more if needed. Stir until the moisture content is completely gone.
8. When it cools down make small balls out of it.
9. Beat the egg white and add little salt to it.
10. Flatten the balls to desired shapes. Dip them in the egg-white and then in the bread crumbs.
11. Heat oil in a pan and deep / shallow fry the cutlets.
12. Serve warm with tomato ketchup or challas / sallas (onion salad, recipe below).
- You can refrigerate the flattened balls dipped in egg white and bread crumbs for 2 days or can even freeze them.
- You can add little bread crumbs/ maida if the cutlet breaks while frying or if it doesn’t hold shape.
- You can also use store bought mashed potatoes.
- Instead of chicken you can also use beef.
Challas (Onion Salad)
Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
Green chilies – 2 , sliced into very thin rounds
Vinegar – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze out the juices well using your fingers. Serve chilled with cutlets, chicken fry, fish fry etc.