There is no need to explain the health benefits of sprouts and the importance to include them in one’s daily menu. Here is a recipe for a healthy and tasty green gram sprouts raita. This recipe is adapted from Mrs. K.M. Mathew’s “Lalitha Pachakam”.
1. Green Gram/Mung Bean Sprouts – 1 cup
2. Tomato deseeded and pulp removed – 1/2 small, chopped
3. Coriander Leaves – 2 tbsp chopped
4. Yoghurt – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
5. Hing – A pinch
6. Sugar – A pinch
7. Salt – To taste
1. Steam the green gram/mung bean sprouts.
2. Combine them with chopped tomato, coriander leaves, yoghurt, hing, sugar and salt. The original recipe calls for adding sauteed onion and green chillies to the raita, which I didnt do, as I wanted it to be free of oil.
How to grow sprouts?
Wash the whole green gram well and remove any discolored ones. Soak them in water for around 12 – 15 hrs. Drain the water and keep them covered in a container. They will sprout in 1-2 days. Rinse and drain them at least once a day to prevent them from drying out.