- Chooda/Anchovies – 250 gm
- Grated coconut – 3/ 4 – 1 cup
- Shallots – 8 – 10 sliced
- Green chilies – 6 – 7 sliced diagonally
- Ginger – 1 inch finely chopped lengthwise
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp
- Kudam puli – 2-3 or to taste
- Curry leaves – 1-2 sprigs
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut Oil – 2 – 3 tsp
1. Clean and wash the fish.
2. Combine grated coconut, turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, fenugreek powder, sliced pearl onions, green chilies, ginger, curry leaves and salt in a claypot/manchatti. Crush everything together with your fingers(njeruduka) and add the kudampuli and fish pieces. Add around 3/4 cup water, cover with the lid and cook until all the water is used up, at medium heat and the fish is cooked. It will take only about 15 mts. Be careful while stirring it, this fish will break down easily. Finally add 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil. Mix well and switch off. This goes well with rice or even with idli/dosa.
kothippikkathe kuttikale… adipoli meen peera..
evde I got anchovies once.. Though said fresh, it was like the dried ones and we had to throw it away 🙁
really fresh fish.hard to find the same here in any shop.One of our favorite dish..nicely done and looks so yummy
adipoli meen peera yummies..great presentation ketto..kothy varunallo:-)
Slurppp!!lipsmacking dish, makes me hungry..
omg!! i just love chooda.. i dont even remember eating them since i left India.. 🙁 plz send some my way.. craving for it!
BTW, i tried the sprouts thoran today and it was delicious 🙂
adipoli meen peera. chooda tinna kalam marannu. nice click dear
You have done this authenic kerala recipe , very beautifully dear 🙂 Looks so delicious 🙂
my husband would sooo love this..i shud rem to pick up some netholi next time i go to the indian store
u gals are making me go crazy.. better not show this post to my hubby… he will become crazy too… this is our fav..with that kudam pulee,,, i am sure it would have tasted heaven.. lovely presentation and so fresh anchovies.we dont get here in Singapore.
I can tell these are so good with all the spices….delicious!
wow wow wow…Oh sahikunilla kettoo.But I m glad I have this fish in my freezer..I too make this with netholi but mostly I fry this.Fries are also damn good.
I love anchovies. Looks very delicious. I never get fresh ones here :(. Drooling on seeing the pics. Hope you both are doing good.
WoW look at the fresh chooda..it’s been years since I saw some..this is my dad’s favorite…
I love anchovies – never seen anything like this before
Oh….. it reminds my mom…….luks delicious tnx 4 sharing such a beautiful recipe
Adipoli meen peera..looks very very delicious,m favorite.. great presentation
This is my favourite, looks so good. Do you guys get fresh anchovies in US, lucky you..
Hot n spicy anchovies…love to giv a try da.
Oh wow anchovies curry…i miss that here….we get only dry ones here….u are so lucky to have them in ur place….
Anchovies…I miss them here..Looks delicious..lovely presentation too..
I usually fry this small fish but never did it this way, sounds really good and seems very delicious…
ayyo..i made this last day…my fav….yummy yummm
Anchovies is one of my favorites in fish. This looks very delicious. yumm… This is my first visit to your blog and I am absolutely thrilled at your recipe collections. They all look super delicious. Happened to read your profile.You gals rock. Though you both stay thousands of miles away you are creating a magic in this blog. Wishing you both tons of success and happiness. Like you gals, even I started cooking seriously after my marriage and eventually started writing a food blog. Looking forward to connect with you. Subscribing to your feeds.
Thank you all for your lovely comments. Lakshmi is in Kerala now, that explains the source of these fresh anchovies 🙂
Thanks for your feedback on our recipe. Glad to hear that you liked it..
Welcome to our blog..Thanks a lot for your really kind and encouraging words :).
I am a frequent visitor of your website and a lover of your recipes.. I tried this recipe. I t was good. But i was confused with the ingredients given because it includes fenugreek and coriander powder also. Its missing in the description part. Anyway i skipped it.
Thank you for the recipe… <3 <3