Heres a simple, easy and tasty fish podimas recipe that goes extremely well with rice.
To cook fish
- Fish – 400 gm (I used 2 tilapia fillets)
- Chilly powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – As required
- Water – 1/4 – 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Ginger – 1 tbsp chopped
- Garlic – 1 tbsp chopped
- Red onion – 1 large , finely chopped
- Pearl onion – 1/2, cup chopped
- Green chilies – 2, chopped fine
- Tomato – 1, seeded and chopped
- Chilly powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Gram masala – 3/4 tsp
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 2, broken
- Curry leaves – 2-3 sprigs
- Coconut oil – 1.5 tbsp or as required
1. Marinate the fish pieces with 1/4 tsp turmeric powder, 1 tsp chilly powder, enough salt and 1 tsp coconut oil for about 15 – 20 mts.
2. Cook the fish pieces in a meen chatti/claypot or a pan (adding enough water) until all the water evaporates and the fish pieces are done.
3. Heat coconut oil in another pan and splutter the mustard seeds, brown the dry red chilies and add some curry leaves. Now add the chopped green chilies, 1 tbsp ginger and 1 tbsp garlic. Saute for a few minutes and add the chopped pearl onion. Again saute for a few minutes and add the chopped onion. Saute until they get lightly browned and then add a pinch of turmeric powder, 2 tsp chilly powder, 1 tsp coriander powder and 3/4 tsp garam masala. Saute and add the chopped tomatoes.
4. Cook for a few minutes and then add the cooked fish pieces and then mix well. Add 3/4 cup grated coconut, few curry leaves and mix well. Stir-fry for a few more minutes and switch off. Serve hot with rice, moru curry and a mezhukkupuratti.