Kerala Egg Potato Curry
Ingredients (Serves 6)
1. Eggs – 6
2. Potato – 2, medium-sized
3. Onion – 1 medium, thinly sliced
4. Green chilies – 2 – 3, slit
5. Ginger – 2 tsp, thinly sliced or crushed
6. Garlic – 6 – 8 small cloves, sliced or crushed
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Regular chili powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Shallots – 3 small
Water – 1 tbsp
8. Vinegar – 1/2 – 1 tsp
9. Thin coconut milk – 1 – 1.5 cup
10. Thick coconut milk – 1/4 cup
11. Salt – To taste
12. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
For the seasoning
13. Coconut oil – 1 tsp
14. Ghee – 1 tsp
15. Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Dried red chilies – 2, broken
16. Shallots – 2-3, thinly sliced
17. Curry leaves – a few
1. Hard boil and shell the eggs and keep aside.
2. Grind ingredients numbered 7 to a fine paste adding water.
3. Heat oil in a pan and cook the thinly sliced onion, little salt, green chilies, ginger and garlic, curry leaves. Cook till onion turns really soft. Add the masala paste and cook for a few minutes over low heat, till the raw smell is completely gone. Dilute the vinegar with thin coconut milk and add salt. Stir into the masala and bring to boil. Cut the potatoes into quarters, add to the gravy and cook covered for 12 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until done.
4. Add the thick coconut milk and bring to a boil once more. Halve the boiled eggs and add to the gravy. Remove from fire.
5. Heat oil and ghee. Splutter mustard seeds, add sliced pearl onions and curry leaves and fry till shallots turn golden. Pour over the prepared curry. keep covered for 10 – 15 minutes. Serve with appam, idiyappam or chapathi.
Recipe Courtesy -Adapted from Flavors of the Spice Coast by Mrs. K.M. Mathew
This is my favorite egg curry.I love it with just anything even as a sauce for pasta.Curry look fabulous.
Adipoli tto…Entha athinte oru color, nice curry da, ente next mutta curry ethu thanne, urapiche…
Yummy curry looks very inviting and tempting.Nice combo.
Superb curry looks so inviting and yummy !!
Excellent dish! Your egg and potato curry looks awesome and must have tasted delicious as well.
Super yummy dish….lovely pics…
tats delicious n divine love it so so much..
Droolworthy pics n a great recipe- perfect combo with rotis 🙂
eggs and potato are an awesome combo
wow adipoli egg curry
Droolinng actually at tht bowl of egg curry…looks so authentic and nice…ill surely try this:)
I want to grab that bowl and enjoying egg and potato curry with some hot steaming rice..yumm!
Too delicious…splendid!!! Now our sunady lunch menu is set…This tempting curry with steamed rice!!
wow!!!egg curry looks yummy n pefect with rice!!
I love this combination. And the best thing is it can be made in so many ways.. your recipe is very good.
egg with potato gravy! fabulous !! sure, I will try this version ..
Delicious egg curry dear,looks so yummy..great with appam.
Mutta curry adipoli, appam kittyal kollam try cheythu nokkan.
lovely combination……Perfect for Appam
Egg n Potato curry …. ahh such a comfort food. Looks delicious.
Tried this egg curry for dinner today. It was yummylicious 🙂
Thanks for your constant support 🙂 Really happy to know that you liked it..
Today my menu was Banana upama and had send rice n this yummo dish 4 hubbyz lunch!! morning it self we tasted it becox the colors itself were so tempting!!Please please post more dishes!
Thanks for trying both the dishes..Really glad to know that you loved this egg-potato curry. Your feedback is our inspiration 🙂 Will surely post more dishes..
this egg curry looks terrific.. surely i will try it out this week..will let u know the result…yumm.
Hi, I tried this out yest and it was really good !!..
Thanks Suhaina..I am waiting for your feedback 🙂
Thanks for your feedback. Glad that you liked it. Please keep visiting..
Guys r u not there in FB???
Yeah, we are there in FB..Heres the link..
adipoli mutta curry…veshakkunnu…
I tried this today and tasted very yummy. Thanks for the recipe!
very easy recipe..i made this curry once with chappathi,,my family finished the whole thing
Nimitha and Susan,
Thanks a lot for your feedback..Glad to know that you liked this recipe 🙂
Hi Maya, today my breaki was Appam and this egg curry…. How do I describe the taste, only one comment from all in our family.. Awesome!! Pls keep posting…. Thanks a lot… 🙂
You’re welcome! 🙂 Great to know that you and family enjoyed this dish! Thanks for taking time to share your feedback here..
Just made it. Absolutely delicious! Thank you:)
Looks and taste Soo good. Thank you!
Your recipes r delicious keep it up.i have tried many of these.