Unakka Meen Chathachathu
- Unakka Meen/dried fish – 250 gm / Around 10 medium pieces
- Dried red chilies – 10 (You can use 1.5 – 2 tsp chili flakes instead)
- Pearl onions – 10 – 15, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Salt – If required
- Coconut oil – As required for frying the fish
1. Soak the dried fish for 15 – 20 mts. Pat dry and keep aside.
2. Heat coconut oil in a pan. Add the dried red chilies and fry them until crisp. Drain on to a paper towel and set aside. Shallow fry the dried fish and drain on to a paper towel. Crush the fried fish pieces along with dry red chilies in a mortar and pestle.
3. To the same pan, add crushed pearl onion, 1 pinch salt and curry leaves. Saute them for 1 – 2 mts or until the raw smell of pearl onion is gone. Now add the crushed dried red chili and fish pieces and mix everything well. Taste-check for salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes at low heat. Switch off. Serve with rice/kanji.
Unakkameen / dried fish can be replaced with unakka chemmeen / dried prawns.