1. Basmati rice – 1 cup
2. Methi leaves / fenugreek leaves – 1/2 bunch ( Pluck the leaves, wash well and set aside to drain. This makes about 1 cup, heaped.)
3. Cumin seeds – 1/8 tsp
Whole spices – Cardamom – 2, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch, whole pepper corns – 5
4. Cashews – 2 tbsp
5. Ginger – 1/4 inch
Garlic – 2 large cloves
Green chilly – 1 – 2
6. Onion – 1/2 cup, chopped
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1/4 tsp
8. Medium-thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup (You can add water instead but using coconut milk gives it a nice flavor.)
Hot water – 1 cup
9. Ghee / oil – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
10) Salt – To taste
1. Coarsely grind ginger, garlic and green chilly. Set aside.
2. Soak basmati rice for 20 minutes in enough water. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and whole spices. Saute until fragrant. Fry cashews until golden. Add chopped onion and coarsely ground ginger-garlic-green chilli mixture. Saute until onion becomes transparent. Lower the heat. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and coriander powder. Saute for 1 minute or until their raw smell is gone. Add methi leaves. Stir for 1 – 2 minutes until they wilt. Add drained basmati rice. Stir for one minute.
4. Next add 1/2 cup coconut milk, 1 cup hot water and enough salt. Bring to a boil and taste-check for salt. It should be slightly salty. Close the pressure cooker with its lid. Cook at medium heat until steam starts coming out profusely. Lower the heat and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Switch off. Set aside for 10 – 15 minutes or until pressure releases. Open the cooker and fluff the rice carefully with a fork. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve this flavorful and delicious methi pulao with raita and pappad or with any spicy curry.
You can add 1/4 cup frozen/fresh green peas to this pulav. Add it after step 3.
Oops I missed buying fresh methi leaves last weekend, I would have bought it at least to try this delicious pulav. I have not used fresh methi leaves a lot in any of the daily cooking.
Healthy, easy and tasty