Rava Kara Kuzhi Paniyaram
Ingredients (Makes 18 – 20)
1. Rava / Sooji, roasted – 1 cup
Yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Water – 3/4 cup or as required
2. Salt – to taste
3. Baking Soda – 1/8 tsp
4. Oil – 2 tsp
Mustard Seeds – 3/4 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Urad dal – 3/4 tsp
Curry leaves – A few, chopped
Ginger – 1/2 tsp, minced
Green Chilies – 1 – 2, finely chopped
Onion – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
Carrot – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
5. Cilantro – 3 tbsp, finely chopped
1. Combine rava and yoghurt in a large bowl. Add water little at a time and make a thick batter. Set aside for 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in a pan at medium heat. Splutter mustard seeds and add cumin seeds. When they splutter, add urad dal and stir until golden. Add in curry leaves, ginger, green chilies and onion. Saute for a minute. Add carrot and saute for a minute. Switch off. Set aside to cool a bit.
3. Add enough salt to the rava batter. Next add the seasoning, chopped cilantro and 1/8 tsp baking soda. Mix well. Add little water if it is very thick. It should have the consistency of an idli batter.
4. Pour 1/4 tsp oil in each of the holes of the paniyaram pan and heat over medium flame. Pour 1.5 tbsp batter in each of the holes and cook for 3 – 4 minutes at medium or medium-low heat until the bottom part of the rava paniyaram crisps up and turns golden brown. Flip them using a spoon or a skewer and cook for a couple of minutes until done. Serve hot with tomato chutney / coconut chutney.
Recipe courtesy – Nipa Dan