Ingredients (Makes 10 – 12)
- Raw rice / jeeraga samba (jeerakashala) rice – 1 cup, rinsed and soaked in enough water for at least 5 – 6 hours
- Cooked rice – 5 tbsp (I used vella kuthari)
- Egg – 1
- Water – 1/4 cup or as needed
- Salt – As required
- Coconut oil – To deep fry
- Soak rice for 6 hrs and drain well. Add it to the large jar of a blender and grind along with 5 tbsp cooked rice, one egg and 1/4 cup water to a semi thick batter. It should have a pourable consistency. Add salt and mix well. You can deep fry immediately or after 3 – 4 hrs.
- Heat coconut oil in a cast iron kadai over high heat. Once hot, pour a ladle of batter in the middle. The batter will rise and puff up to the top in 5 – 6 seconds. Bring down the flame to medium once it puffs up. Cook for a minute or two and gently flip to the other side. Cook for a minute and remove to a paper towel. Repeat the process till the batter is over. Serve as is or with any spicy curry. It tastes best when hot. Enjoy!!