Fried Chicken Biriyani
Fried Chicken Biriyani Recipe
Ingredients (Serves 5)
1. Chicken – 1 – 1.25 kg, cut into medium pieces
2. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder (medium or mildly spicy) – 2 – 3 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 3/4 tsp
Lemon juice – 1.5 tsp
Salt – As required
3. Oil – As required to fry
4. Onion – 1 large, thinly sliced (Around 3 cups)
5. Ginger – 3/4 inch
Garlic – 6 large cloves
Green chilies – 4 – 5
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilli powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 2.5 tsp
7. Tomato – 2 small, chopped
Curd – 2 – 3 tbsp
8. Garam masala powder –1 – 1.5 tsp
Hot water – 3/4 cup
Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp, chopped
Mint leaves – 2 – 3 tbsp, chopped
9. Salt – To taste
For the rice
10. Basmati rice / jeeraka shala rice – 2.5 cups (Soak rice in enough water for 30 minutes and drain well)
Ghee – 1 tbsp
Whole spices – Cardamom – 4, cloves – 6, cinnamon stick – 3/4 inch
Salt – To taste
Water – As required
12. Fried onion – 3/4 cup
Fried cashews – 1/4 cup
Fried raisins – 1/4 cup
Cilantro – 1/4 – 1/2 cup, chopped
Mint leaves – 1/4 – 1/2 cup, chopped
Garam masala powder – Few pinches
13. Hot water –1/4 cup
Saffron – 1 pinch
Rose water – Few drops
Add saffron and rose water to hot water and set aside for a few minutes.
1. Marinate chicken pieces with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 2 hrs or overnight in the refrigerator. Take it out 30 mts before you are ready to cook.
2. Coarsely grind ginger, garlic and green chilies (ingredients numbered 5) in the small jar of a blender.
3. Heat enough oil in a pan over medium heat. Deep or shallow fry chicken pieces until browned and 3/4 th done. Remove to a large bowl.
4. Heat the remaining oil (you can use 3 tbsp ghee instead) and add sliced onion, salt and ground ginger-garlic-green chilly mixture. Saute until golden. Bring down the heat to low. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and coriander powder. Saute for a few minutes until their raw smell completely disappears. Add chopped tomato, yoghurt and mix well. Cook until oil separates. Add 1 – 1.5 tsp garam masala powder and mix well. Taste-check for salt. Add 3 tbsp chopped mint leaves, cilantro and 3/4 cup hot water. Mix well. Add fried chicken pieces and mix well. Cover with a lid. Cook for low-medium heat for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring in between until the chicken pieces are completely done and well-coated with the masala. Switch off the stove.
3. To cook rice – While the chicken is cooking, soak the basmati rice for around 30 mts. Boil enough water in a deep vessel. To the boiling water, add ghee – 2 – 3 tsp and whole spices . Add enough salt. The water should be slightly salty. Now add the soaked rice and cook it until 95 % done. Drain well.
4. To Layer
For layering, you need a cookware which can be put on stove or which is oven-safe.
Smear the base with ghee. Then add the fried onions, cashews, raisins, cilantro, mint leaves and chicken masala. You can pour a little gravy over the chicken pieces. Now add the rice and repeat the process. Sprinkle some fennel powder or garam masala, little saffron water and 1 – 2 tsp ghee on the rice. The top-most layer should be that of rice topped with the items under garnish. You can pour any left-over chicken gravy over it. Now seal the cookware with an aluminium foil (so that moisture won’t escape), cover with a lid and bake it at 350 F for around 15-20 mts (depending on the cookware you use). If you are using stovetop keep it on a tawa over low flame for around 10-15 mts. Fried chicken biriyani is ready to serve! Serve with boiled eggs, raita, papad, biriyani chammanthi and lemon pickle. Enjoy!!