Ingredients (Serves 4 – 5)
1. Boneless chicken (thighs or breast) – 750 gm, cut into medium cubes
2. Thick yoghurt – 3/4 cup
Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
Garlic, minced – 2 – 3 tsp
Paprika / Kashmiri chilly powder – 2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon powder – 1/8 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt – As required
Olive oil – 1.5 tbsp
3. Onion, cubed – 1/2 large
4. Melted butter / oil – To baste (Combine oil with a pinch of salt, pepper powder, pinch of garlic powder, 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/4 tsp paprika)
5. Wooden skewers – 6 – 8
1. Combine all the ingredients numbered 2. Taste-check for salt. Marinate chicken pieces with this mixture. Keep in the refrigerator overnight or for at least 2 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Add onion cubes and mix well.
2. If you are using wooden skewers – soak them for at least 30 minutes.
3. Grill until done OR if you are using an oven – Preheat oven at 500 F. Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil and grease with oil/butter. Arrange the chicken pieces on the skewers and place inside the baking sheet. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes. Baste with melted butter / oil seasoned with pinch of salt, pepper powder, garlic powder and 1/4 tsp chilly powder. Bake for another 8 – 10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil mode. Broil for 1 – 2 minutes. Take it out. Serve with baba ghanoush or hummus, pita bread and salad.
Baba Ghanoush (Eggplant Dip)
1. Eggplant – 1 large
2. Tahini – 1.5 tbsp
Lemon juice – 2 – 3 tsp or to taste
Garlic – 1 clove, minced
Salt – To taste
3. Extra virgin olive oil – 1 tbsp
4. Parsley – 1 tsp finely chopped, to garnish
Roast the eggplant directly on the burner of a gas stove over medium heat, turning often, until the skin is completely blackened and the flesh is soft, about 10 minutes. Or place the egg plant on a baking tray (rub little olive oil on the eggplant and prick its skin over several places with a fork). Bake at 500 F for 20 mts. Cool down for 20 minutes. Cut into half and scoop out the flesh. Remove the peel and seeds. Allow to cool completely. Grind the flesh along with tahini, lemon juice, crushed garlic and salt to a coarse mixture. Or you can use a fork to mash them instead. Transfer to a small bowl. Drizzle olive oil on top and sprinkle chopped parsley. Serve chilled or at room temperature.