Paneer simmered in a rich, creamy tomato based gravy… Easy to make and tastes exactly like that of the restaurant style paneer butter masala. Serve paneer makhani with any Indian flatbread or pulao / jeera rice. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
1. Paneer – 300 gm , cubed
2. Butter – 2 tbsp
3. Ginger – 1/2 inch, roughly chopped
Green chilies – 2
4. Tomato puree – of 3 medium tomatoes
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
6. Kasoori methi – 1/8 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
7. Heavy cream / fresh cream – 1/2 cup
Milk – 1/2 – 3/4 cup
8. Sugar – 1 – 2 pinches
Kasoori methi – 1/8 tsp
9. Salt – To taste
10. Cilantro – 2 – 3 tbsp (optional)
1. Grind ginger and green chilies to a fine paste in the small jar of a mixie.
2. Heat 2 tbsp butter in a kadai over medium heat. Add ginger-green chilly paste and cook for a minute. Add ground tomato, salt and cook covered for 10 – 15 minutes until moisture is completely gone and butter separates. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and cumin powder. Cook over low heat until their raw smell is completely gone. Add kasoori methi and garam masala powder. Mix well.
3. Add heavy cream and mix well. Next add milk. Add salt and 1 – 2 pinches of sugar. Stir continuously for a few minutes until it comes to a boil. Add a pinch of kasoori methi, paneer pieces and cook covered for a few minutes over low heat. Switch off. Taste check for salt. Add a tsp of butter and a pinch of garam masala powder, if required. Finally sprinkle some cilantro. Serve after 10 minutes. It goes well with naan / pulao etc.
* You can add cashew paste, if you prefer. Soak 8 – 10 cashews in hot water for 10 minutes. Grind to a very fine paste adding water / milk. Add it after step 2. Cook for a couple of minutes and then add heavy cream.
Recipe courtesy – Nipa Dan