Ingredients (Serves 6- 8)
1. Whole chicken ( 4 – 5 pounds)
Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Lemon juice – 1.5 tbsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Shan Chicken tikka/tandoori chicken masala powder (store bought) – 1 tbsp (optional, added for extra flavor)
Salt – As required
2. Thick yoghurt – 1/2 cup
Turmeric powder – 3/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder (good quality) or mildly spicy chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Regular chilli powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 2 tsp
Kasoori methi – 2.5 tsp
Cumin powder – 2 tsp
Lemon juice – 1.5 tbsp
Chat masala – 1.5 tsp
Salt – As needed
3. Mustard oil / vegetable oil / melted butter or ghee – 2 tbsp
4. Melted butter / ghee – 2 tbsp, to baste
1. Clean the chicken by removing the skin, giblets and any extra fat inside the cavity. Rinse with water and dry thoroughly with a paper towel. You can keep the skin on, if you want.
2. Make deep gashes on the fleshy parts of the chicken so that the masala can penetrate inside. Combine chicken pieces with the remaining ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for 30 minutes.
3. Combine all the ingredients numbered 2 in a bowl. Marinate the chicken with this mixture. Heat a piece of charcoal on direct flame until it is nicely hot, this will take a few minutes. Once the charcoal is hot, place it in a bowl placed along with marinated chicken and pour a tsp of oil/ghee on top. Immediately cover with lid. It gives a nice smoky flavor to the chicken. Remove the bowl after 20 minutes. (You can also do immediately after the chicken is completely cooked through. Take the baking tray out of the oven. Keep the heated charcoal inside a bowl, pour 1 tsp oil and cover with an aluminium foil (so the smoke won’t escape) for 10 minutes).
Keep the marinated chicken inside the refrigerator for at least 12 – 15 hrs. Take it out 30 minutes before you are ready to bake. Add 2 – 3 tbsp oil / melted butter and apply on the marinated chicken.
3. Preheat the oven at 450 F.
4. Line a large baking tray with aluminium foil. Top it with an oven rack. Grease the oven rack with oil / butter. Place the marinated chicken on the rack. Cover it loosely with an aluminum foil and place inside the oven.
5. After 30 minutes, take the chicken out and baste it with ghee / oil. Flip over to the other side carefully. Brush with oil/ ghee. Cover with aluminium foil and bake for another 30 – 40 minutes or until completely done. Flip over to the other side. Apply ghee/melted butter generously over the chicken. Broil for 3 – 5 minutes ( do not cover with foil)until well-roasted. Take it out, brush with melted butter immediately and set aside for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with green chutney, sliced onion, tomato and lemon wedges.