Karahi literally refers to any dish cooked in a karahi/kadai/wok. It is mostly popular in Pakistan and North India Dhaba. There are different versions of Karahi chicken such as white, green(with coriander -mint paste) , spicy red with tomato etc. It is one of my favorite dishes to make at home as it is so easy, quick and incredibly tasty. It is best served with naan, roti or jeera rice.
Ingredients (Serves 3)
- Chicken, bone-in – 1/2 kg, cut into medium-small pieces
- Oil – 3 – 4 tbsp
- Whole spices – Green cardamom – 3, cloves – 3, cinnamon stick – 1 inch, broken
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tbsp
Green chilies – 4, crushed in a mortar and pestle
- Yoghurt – 1/2 cup, beaten
Cumin seeds or powder – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Coriander powder – 1.5 tsp
Cashew powder or paste – 1 tbsp (optional)
Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Heavy cream / fresh cream – 3 – 4 tbsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Green chilies – 3, diagonally sliced
Sugar – 1 pinch, to balance the flavors
- Salt – To taste
- Cilantro – 1 tbsp, chopped
Ginger, juliened – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Butter – 1 tsp, optional
- Heat 3 – 4 tbsp oil in a kadai over medium-high heat. Add whole spices numbered 3 and stir for a few seconds till fragrant. Add chicken pieces and cook for 6 – 8 minutes till their color changes and get lightly browned.
- Add ginger-garlic paste, green chili paste and cook for 2 – 3 minutes till their raw smell leaves. Bring down the heat to medium-low. Add yoghurt, cumin seeds, coriander powder, cashew powder, pepper powder and salt. Mix well. Cook for a few minutes. Cover and cook for 15 minutes over medium-low heat till moisture is almost evaporated, oil separates and chicken is completely cooked through. Taste-check for salt. Add heavy cream, garam masala powder, diagonally sliced green chilies and a pinch of sugar. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes and switch off. Sprinkle cilantro and sliced ginger. Serve immediately with naan, chapathi or jeera rice. It’s super yum..do give it a try.