Fried rice is one yummy dish I could never ever get tired of. It’s easily the most versatile dish you can make in your kitchen. Just add protein of your choice and you have a complete meal in 20 minutes. I am all in for such easy and quick dishes, which is why I got so excited when @superluckyelephant sent me their Ready to Eat Jasmine rice to try.
Super Lucky Elephant Jasmine rice is a premium quality Jasmine rice from Thailand. They are graded as Thai Hom Mali, which is the official name for highest grade. Jasmine rice is naturally scented and is softer, thicker and slightly sticky compared to basmati rice. Super Lucky Elephant sent me three varieties of Jasmine rice to try – Thai Hom Mali Dry Jasmine rice, Ready to Eat Thai Hom Mali Jasmine Rice and Ready to Eat Thai Hom Mali Coconut Jasmine Rice. They all had perfect texture and flavor.
Jasmine rice is the best accompaniment for all kinds of grilled meat, stir-fries, Thai style curries and for fried rice, burrito bowls etc.
Sharing the recipe for my most favorite Thai dish, Thai basil fried rice made using ready to eat Super Lucky Elephant Thai Hom Mali Jasmine rice.
Ingredients (Serves 1 – 2)
1. 1 package Ready to eatThai Hom Mali Jasmine Rice (About 1.5 cup)
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Garlic – 3 medium, roughly chopped
Thai ripe red chilies – 3, chopped
- Shrimp, cleaned – 8 – 10 medium-sized
Onion, sliced – 1/3 cup
- Egg – 1
- Soy sauce, light – 1/2 tbsp
Oyster sauce – 1/2 tbsp
Sugar – 1/2 tsp
Fish sauce – 1 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
- Basil leaves 5 – 6 stalks (Around 20 leaves)
- Sliced cucumber and Thai condiment, Prik nam pla
1. Crush garlic and red chilies in a mortar and pestle.
2. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a wok. Add crushed garlic-chili mix. Cook for a minute. Add shrimp and onion. Cook for 2 – 3 minutes and then move to the side. Add 1/2 tsp oil and crack an egg. Scramble it lightly and mix with shrimp. 3. Add cooked rice and ingredients numbered 6. Stir-fry for 2 – 3 minutes and switch off the stove. Add basil leaves and stir till it wilts. Serve immediately with sliced cucumber and prik nam pla.
For Prik Nam Pla Condiment
Also known as Thai sauce, its a staple table condiment in Thai cuisine. It has only 4 ingredients – fish sauce, red chilies, sugar and lime juice which gives a salty, spicy, sweet n sour flavor. It tastes really yum and can be served over rice, fried rice, noodles, in soups etc.
1. Fish sauce – 2 tbsp
2. Lime juice – 1 tbsp
3. Red ripe chilies – 4 – 5, cut into thin rounds
4. Sugar – 1 pinch
5. Garlic – 1/2 tsp minced (optional)
Combine all the above ingredients. Set aside for at least 30 minutes. Serve with plain rice and Thai basil chicken or fried rice.