Catering Special Chicken Roast Recipe
View this post on Instagram
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Chicken – 3/4 kg, cut into medium-small pieces
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Salt – 1/2 tsp or as needed
2. Coconut oil – 1/4 cup
3. Whole spices – green cardamom – 2, cloves – 3, cinnamon stick – 1/2 inch, bay leaf – 1 small
4. Ginger and garlic crushed – 1 tbsp each
5. Onion – 1 medium-large, thinly sliced
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
6. Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
7. Tomato – 1.5 small, thickly sliced
Green chilies – 2- 3, slit or chopped
9. Soy sauce – 1 tsp
Tomato sauce – 1 tsp (I used maggi hot and sweet sauce)
Sugar – 1 pinch (Optional, added to balance the flavors)
10. Cashews – 6 – 8, soaked in hot water for 30 minutes
Coconut milk, medium thick – 2 – 3 tbsp
11. Salt – To taste
1. Combine chicken pieces with all the other ingredients numbered 1. Set aside for 1 hr.
2. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a pan. Add the chicken pieces and fry on both sides over medium heat (do not over fry, fry till golden and 50-60 % cooked.
3. Add 2 tbsp coconut oil to the pan and add whole spices numbered 3. Stir for a few seconds till fragrant. Add crushed ginger-garlic and cook for a minute. Add sliced onion, cover and cook, stirring occasionally till onion turns soft and color changes. If ginger-garlic sticks to the pan, lower the heat, add a tbsp of water and scrape off the bits.
4. Add turmeric powder, kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder and pepper powder. Cook for a few minutes over very low heat. Add tomato, green chilies and cook covered till soft, over medium-low heat. Add garam masala powder and mix well. Next add the sauces numbered 9. Cook for a minute over low heat.
5. Meantime, grind cashews adding coconut milk to a very fine paste. Add this paste to the chicken and cook for a minute. Add 1/2 cup hot water. Mix well, boil and cook for 1 – 2 minutes till thick. Taste-check for salt. Add fried chicken pieces and mix well. Cook covered over low heat for about 10 – 12minutes, stirring occasionaly, till chicken pieces are completely cooked through. Switch off the flame. You can add a few curry leaves and 1 tsp butter for extra taste. It tastes best after 1 – 2 hrs. Serve Special Chicken Roast with porotta, catering vegetable pulao, vegetable fried rice
or special vegetable pulao