Puttu, green gram curry, pappadam and chicken chathachu porichathu..Came across this combo while scrolling through YouTube last week and gave it a try the next day itself. As I guessed, the combo was really yum. It is the specialty of a thattukada (Kanthari) based in Kozhikode. This chicken dish is really easy to make and tastes really good and it goes well with rice and chapathi too..
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
- Chicken, bone-in – 400 gm, cut into small pieces
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt – As needed
Water – 2 tbsp
Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 cup, finely sliced
Lemon juice – 2 tsp
Kashmiri chilli powder – 1.5 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves – A few
- Coconut oil – 1 – 2 tbsp or as needed
- Curry leaves – A few, torn
- In a cheena chatti/wok, add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, salt, 2 tbsp water and 1 tsp coconut oil. Cook covered for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally till done and water is completely evaporated.
4. Heat coconut oil in a non-stick pan. Add marinated chicken pieces and fry on medium-high heat for a few minutes. Bring down the flame to low and cook for 3 – 4 minutes on each side till roasted to your liking. Sprinkle a pinch of pepper powder and a few curry leaves. Mix well. Serve immediately with chapathi / plain rice or puttu and a gravy. We had it with cherupayar / green gram curry and pappadam. It also goes well with chapathi / rice.