Fish Curry – Trivandrum Style / Thengayaracha Meen Curry
1. Fish – 1/2 kg, cut into medium pieces (I used salmon)
2. Grated coconut – 1.5 cups
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1 tbsp (You can use kashmiri chilly powder to make it less spicy)
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Pearl onions – 5
Tamarind – Small goose-berry sized
3. Fenugreek powder – 1/4 tsp
4. Green chilies – 2, slit
Drumstick – 1, cut into 2.5 inch pieces and slit
Curry leaves – 1 sprig
6. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
7. Salt – To taste
1. Grind the grated coconut along with turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder, pearl onions and tamarind to a fine paste adding enough water.
2. In a claypot, add the fish pieces, ground coconut mixture, fenugreek powder, slit green chilies, drumstick pieces, curry leaves, salt and 1.5 - 2 cups of water. Mix well and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and cook for a few minutes. Bring down the flame to medium-low and cook until done. Add 2 – 3 tsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves. Set aside for 15 minutes. Serve with rice and a thoran/mezhukkupuratti.