Ingredients (For 3 ramekins)
1. Carrot – 1 medium-large, diced or cut into 1/2 inch rounds
Cremini / button mushroom – 8, quartered
Celery – 3 stalks, chopped
Onion – 1 medium-small, diced
Garlic – 2 medium cloves, minced
Potato – 1 medium-small, diced
2. Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Butter – 1 tbsp
All purpose flour / maida – 1.5 tsp
3. Italian seasoning – 1/2 tsp (You can also use 1/4 tsp each of dried thyme and oregano OR 1 tsp each of fresh thyme and oregano instead)
4. Veg / chicken broth – 1 cup
5. Salt and pepper – To taste
6. Whole milk / heavy cream / half and half – 3 tbsp
7. Parsley – 2 tbsp, finely chopped
8. Puff pastry sheet
1. Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add carrots, mushroom, celery, onion, garlic, little salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes. Add potato cubes, mix well and saute for a minute. Add butter, sprinkle all purpose flour and mix well. Stir for a minute. Add Italian seasoning and mix well. Next add vegetable broth. Mix well. Season with enough salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 – 12 minutes until potatoes are cooked and gravy thickens. Add milk/ heavy cream. Cook for 2 more minutes. Switch off. Garnish with chopped parsley.
2. Heat oven at 400 F. Thaw the puff pastry sheet. Cut three pieces of puff pastry and roll them slightly and cut into circles slightly larger than the tops of ramekins. Brush the edges of the puff pastry circles with beaten egg/ water.
3. Grease 3 ramekins with butter / olive oil. Pour the cooked vegetable mixture until 3/4th full. Top with the puff pastry circle. Press the edges of the puff pastry circles on to the ramekins using a fork or your fingers. Prick them using a fork for steam to escape. Brush with beaten egg (this is optional). Bake for 17 – 18 minutes until puff pastry sheet is golden colored. Serve after 5 mts.
You can also use other veggies such as butternut squash, sweet potato, corn etc.