Malabar Style Chemmeen Ada – Ramadan Special
Chemmeen Ada Recipe
Ingredients (Makes around 5)
1. Small prawns / chemmeen – 1.5 cup (Around 340 gm)
2. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/8 tsp
Salt –to taste
3. Coconut oil – 1 – 2 tsp + 1.5 tbsp
4. Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
Ginger and garlic minced or paste – 2 tsp
Green chilly – 1, minced
Curry leaves – A few, minced
5. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander powder – 3/4 tsp
6. Tomato – 1 small, chopped
7. Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
Garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/8 tsp
8. Salt – To taste
9. Rice flour / pathiri podi / idiyappa podi – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tsp
Salt – As required
Hot water – Around 1.5 cup or as required
1. Marinate prawns with ingredients numbered 2 for at least 15 minutes.
2. Heat 2 tsp coconut oil n a pan over medium heat. Add marinated prawns and cook for 5 minutes until dry. Transfer to a bowl.
3. In the same pan, add 1.5 tbsp coconut oil and add chopped onion, little salt, ginger, garlic, green chilly and curry leaves. Saute until onion turns light brown. Bring down the flame. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, coriander powder and saute until their raw smell leaves. Add chopped tomatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add cooked prawns. Mix well. Add grated coconut, 1/4 tsp garam masala powder and pepper powder. Stir for 1 – 2 minutes until dry. Switch off.
4. Boil water adding enough salt and 1 tsp oil. Place rice flour in a large bowl. Add boiling water little by little and mix well. When it is warm enough to handle, make a smooth dough out of it (like how you do for idiyappam).
5. Cut banana leaf into rectangles. Place them over flame to make them pliable (vazhayila vaattuka). Take lime-sized portion of dough and spread it on the plantain leaf evenly with moist fingers. To avoid sticking, you can either dip your fingers in asmall vessel filled with water or grease your palm with little oil.
4. Top half of the portion with 1/4 cup prawn masala and fold the ends. Repeat with the remaining dough. Steam it for around 12 minutes or until done. Serve warm.