- Basmati Rice – 2 cups
- Mushroom – 300 gm
- Onion – 1/2 medium, chopped
- Tomato – 1 small, pureed
- Green chillies – 2, seeded and slit
- Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Chilly powder – 3/4 tsp
- Garam masala – 3/4 tsp
- Whole garam masala – Cardamom – 2, Cloves – 6 – 7, Cinnamon stick – 1 inch, Bay leaves – 1-2
- Salt – To taste
- Oil / ghee / butter – 1 tbsp
1. Wash the mushroom slices and chop them.
Wash the rice and soak for at least 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Heat oil / ghee at medium heat and add whole spices. Stir for a few seconds and add ginger-garlic paste, chopped onion and little salt. Stir-fry until onion turns light brown. Add tomato puree, saute until oil separates. Add the masala powders, enough salt and chopped mushrooms. Water will ooze out from the mushrooms. Stir-fry until the water evaporates. It takes about 6 – 8 minutes at medium heat.
3. Now add the rice. Stir-fry for a few minutes.
4. Add 4 cups of warm / hot water to the rice-mushroom mixture. Add enough salt. Bring it to a boil and cook covered at medium-low heat until water is absorbed and rice is fully done. OR You can transfer this mixture to a rice cooker and cook. Gently fluff the rice using a fork and transfer to a serving dish.
Pressure Cooker Method
Pressure cooker procedure – Transfer the whole mixture to a pressure cooker after step 3 and add 4 cups of warm/hot water to it. Add enough salt. Give it a mix. Let the mixture come to a boil. Close the pressure cooker with its lid and cook at medium heat. When steam starts coming out continuously and profusely from the vent, put the pressure cooker weight and switch off the stove. Open the pressure cooker when the pressure releases or after 15 – 20 minutes. Fluff the rice with a fork and transfer it to a serving bowl. Enjoy this delicious mushroom rice with raita and pickle.