Chemmeen Mulakittathu – Malabar Style
- Prawns – 20 – 25
- Tomato – 2 large, chopped
- Onion – 1/4 cup, thinly sliced
- Ginger – 2 tsp, thinly sliced
- Garlic – 3 – 4, sliced
- Green chilies – 2, slit
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1 – 1.5 tsp
- Tamarind – Goose-berry sized or to taste
- Salt – To taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
1. Clean and wash the prawns. Soak the tamarind in 1/4 cup warm water for 15 mts and extract its juice.
2. Heat oil in a meen chatti/ claypot at medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, green chilies, curry leaves and sliced onion. Saute until onion becomes transparent. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder and saute until their raw smell is gone. Now add the chopped tomatoes. Cover and cook until tomato gets mashed up. Open the lid and saute until oil starts separating. Add 1 – 1.5 cups of water, prawns, tamarind extract and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 – 12 minutes or until the prawns are done and gravy thickens. Add 1 tbsp coconut oil and a few curry leaves. Set aside for 15 minutes. Serve with rice. This tastes better the next day.
Recipe Courtesy – Sunitha Murali