Baked fish fried rice
Ingredients (Serves 3 – 4)
1. Fish – 400 – 500 gm, cut into small cubes
2. Ginger – garlic paste – 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
Pepper powder – 1.5 tsp
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt – To taste
3. Basmati rice – 2 cups
4. Whole spices – Cardamom – 2, cloves – 4, cinnamon stick – 2 small
5. Ginger-garlic paste – 1.5 tsp
6. Onion – 1 medium-small, thinly sliced
7. Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
8. Tomato – 1 medium, seeds and pulp removed and finely chopped
9. Mint leaves – 1/4 cup, chopped
Cilantro – 1/4 cup, chopped
10. Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
11. Salt – To taste
12. Oil / butter – 1.5 tbsp
13. Cashews, raisins, fried onion – 2 – 3 tbsp each (Optional, to garnish)
1. Soak rice in enough water for 20 minutes.Drain. Cook it in a large vessel filled with boiling water, 1 tsp oil , whole spices and enough salt, until done. Strain the cooked rice. Set aside to cool.
2. Marinate the fish pieces with the ingredients under “ To marinate” for at least 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven at 350 F. Line a baking tray with aluminium foil and grease with oil. Arrange the fish pieces on the baking tray and bake for about 10 – 12 minutes (since they are cut into small pieces, you don’t need to flip them in between). Switch on the broiler and broil for about 2 – 3 minutes. Take out the baking tray. Flake the fish pieces using your fingers or a fork. Set aside.
4. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil / butter in a wide non-stick pan. Fry cashews, raisins, sliced onion (if using)one after the other until golden and set aside. Pour more oil if required and then add ginger-garlic paste and fry for a minute or two. Next add thinly sliced onion (for an extra taste, you can coat the thinly sliced onion with the baked fish drippings in the aluminium foil), little salt and saute until onion turns light brown. Add turmeric powder, chilly powder, pepper powder and fry for a few seconds. Next add chopped tomato pieces and saute until tomato gets mashed up and oil separates. Add in the fish pieces, garam masala powder, chopped mint leaves and chopped cilantro. Mix everything well and stir for 1 – 2 minutes. Next add the cooked rice little by little and mix well. Stir-fry for 3 – 4 minutes. Switch off. Garnish with fried cashews, raisins, onions, chopped cilantro and mint leaves. Serve with raita and a pickle.
Instead of baking, you can fry the fish pieces in a pan and then follow the same method.