Cajun Blackened Salmon
1. Salmon – 1 medium fillet, sliced into three equal-sized pieces (Around 300 – 350 gm)
2. Oil / butter – 2 – 3 tbsp or as required (I used extra-light olive oil)
Cajun spice mix
3. Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder – 1/2 tsp
Paprika – 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder – 1/4 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/2 tsp
Onion powder – 1/4 tsp
Dried oregano – 1/2 tsp
Dried thyme – 1/2 tsp
Salt – A little less than 1/2 tsp
Mix all the above ingredients for cajun spice mix.
1. In a small bowl, mix all the spices mentioned under cajun spice mix.
2. Sprinkle the salmon fillet evenly with the cajun spice mixture, on all sides. Rub well. Sprinkle little water, if required.
3. Heat oil in a pan at medium-high heat. Place the salmon fillet in the hot pan. Allow it to cook for about 30 seconds on medium high, then turn the heat down to medium or medium-low, cover the skillet with a lid and allow the salmon to cook for a few minutes on each side or until the salmon is browned and completely done. Serve hot. We had it with Israeli couscous salad with roasted vegetables(recipe coming soon).
If your salmon fillet is very thick, sear both sides of the fillet in olive oil at medium-high heat and then transfer to an oven heated at 375 F and cook until completely done.