Chicken Parmesan with Tomato Basil Topping
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Chicken cutlets (thin sliced chicken breasts) – 2
Salt and pepper – As required
2. All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
3. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
4. Bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs) – 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
Italian seasoning / dried oregano – 1/4 tsp
Garlic powder – 1/8 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Oil – 2 tbsp
For the tomato-basil topping
6. Tomato, firm – 2 medium OR 15 grape tomatoes, halved
Basil leaves – 3 tbsp, thinly sliced
Garlic – 1 small clove, minced
Balsamic vinegar – 1 – 1.5 tsp
Extra virgin olive oil – 2 – 3 tsp
Salt and pepper – To taste
Combine all the above ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Combine bread crumbs with all the other ingredients numbered 4.
2. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, bring down the heat to medium. Place a breaded chicken and fry until crisp and browned on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Repeat with the other breaded cutlet. Transfer chicken cutlets to individual plates and top with tomato-basil mixture and 1 tsp grated parmesan. Serve immediately!