Homemade Chicken Parmesan Cutlets with Tomato Basil Topping
Ingredients (Serves 2)
1. Chicken cutlets (thin sliced chicken breasts) – 2 (You can either buy store bought chicken cutlets or you can slice the chicken breast in half through the middle to get a thin flat piece. If the chicken cutlet is thick, pound it to about 1/4 inch thick using a meat mallet)
Salt and pepper – As required
2. All purpose flour – 1/4 cup
3. Egg – 1, beaten with a pinch of salt and pepper
4. Bread crumbs (I used panko bread crumbs) – 1/2 cup
Parmesan cheese – 1/4 cup, grated
Italian seasoning / dried oregano – 1/4 tsp (optional)
Garlic powder – 1 – 2 pinches
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
5. Oil (light olive oil or vegetable oil)– 2 – 3 tbsp
For the tomato-basil topping
6. Tomato, firm – 2 medium OR 15 grape tomatoes, halved
Basil leaves – 3 tbsp, thinly sliced
Garlic – 1 small clove, minced
Balsamic vinegar – 1 – 1.5 tsp
Extra virgin olive oil – 2 – 3 tsp
Salt and pepper – To taste
Combine all the above ingredients in a medium bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
1. Combine bread crumbs with all the other ingredients numbered 4.
2. Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
3. Dredge each chicken breast in the flour and tap off excess, then dip in the egg and let excess drip off, then dredge on both sides in the bread crumbs.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Once hot, bring down the heat to medium. Place a breaded chicken and fry until crisp and browned on both sides, about 2 – 3 minutes on each side depending on the thickness. Repeat with the other breaded cutlet. Transfer chicken cutlets to individual plates and top with tomato-basil mixture and 1 tsp grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately!