Chilli Fish Recipe
1. King fish – 1/2 kg or around 3 fillets, cubed ( I used tilapia, you can use any boneless white fish fillet of your choice)
2. Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
3. Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp, optional
4. Soy sauce – 1 tsp
5. Salt – To taste
6. Corn flour – 3 tbsp
7. All purpose flour / maida – 3 tbsp
8. Water – 3 tbsp or as required for a thick batter
Salt – To taste
Egg – 1 beaten (optional)
Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
9. Refined oil – To deep fry
For the sauce
10. Onion – 1 small, cubed
11. Garlic – 2 – 3 tsp, chopped
12. Green chilly – 2, diagonally sliced
13. Green bell pepper – 1/2 medium, cubed or thinly sliced (You can use red bell pepper too)
14. Kashmiri Chilly powder – 1 tsp (optional)
15. Red chilly sauce/ chilly garlic sauce / green chilly sauce – 1.5 tbsp
16. Soy sauce – 2 – 3 tsp
Tomato ketchup – 1 – 1.5 tbsp
Vinegar – 1/4 tsp
17. Water or vegetable stock – 1/2 cup (I used vegetable stock)
18. Sugar – 1/4 tsp
19. Corn flour / starch – 1 tsp mixed in 2-3 tbsp water
20. Salt – To taste
21. Oil – 2 – 3 tbsp
22. Pepper powder – 1/4 tsp
23. Spring onion chopped – Around 1/4 cup, To garnish
1. Clean and cut the fish pieces to small cubes ( to 20 pieces or so). Marinate it with 1/2 tsp pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, salt(soy sauce will be a little salty so adjust the salt accordingly) and 1 tsp soy sauce for at least 1 hr.
2. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup corn flour, 1/4 cup maida and a little salt. Add 1 beaten egg to it and then add water gradually. Mix well, remove any lumps and make a thick batter out of it.
3. Heat oil in a deep pan. Dip the fish pieces in the batter and deep fry until golden brown flipping the fish pieces to the other side in between. It would not take more than 10 – 12 mts at medium heat. Do not overcrowd the pan. Fry them in two batches or so. Drain the fish pieces on to a paper towel.
4. Heat 2 – 3 tbsp of the remaining oil which was used for frying fish, in a wide pan at medium high heat. Add cubed onion, chopped garlic, little salt and saute for a few minutes until onion turns translucent. Next add 1 tsp kashmiri chilly powder and mix well. Add cubed bell pepper. Saute for 1 – 2 minutes. Sprinkle some pepper powder. Add the sauces – chilly sauce, soy sauce, tomato ketchup and vinegar. Mix well.
5. Add 1/2 cup chicken stock/vegetable stock or water. Bring it to a boil and add 1/4 tsp sugar. Taste check for salt. To thicken the sauce, add a 1 tsp corn flour mixed in water. When it thickens, add fish pieces. Mix well and cook for 1 – 2 minutes and switch off. Garnish with finely chopped spring onion. Chilli fish goes really well with fried rice and noodles.
Wow!! chilli fish looks delicious:)
Yummy yummy chilli fish analo. Adipoli…
chilli fish looks so spicy n delicious …yummy
wow wow wowlooks super duper yum…wht a gorgeous looking fish dish….
Have had chilli fish only in restaurants…this looks super yum and tempting
chilli fish looks adipoli…
looks mouthwatering, never tried fish in chinese gravy, but must give it a try now…
Wow!!! This is first time iam seeing this kind of chilly fish, looks very delicious and must be very tasty:)
Looks very tasty..I never tried king fish…how does it taste…I am little bit sneaky about fish…
looks very very tasty … yummmilicious
Slurp!!such a delicious and tempting dish..
have tried the same thing…except i didnt add sugar…love the colour…
Fish looks so tempting!!!Do visit me sometime…
Delicious chilly fish..looks so tempting !!
Yum!! looks deletable…
this recipe is just awesome..never thought of making something like this with fish..looks so tempting..slurpp!
Wow, what a great recipe for fish…love it spicy as well 🙂
Oh my !! kidilan chilli fish…Am hungry now 🙂
Dear thanks a lot for the reply….I usually make chilli fish with catfish nuggets…One of my friends has also told me that king fish is tasty, though she never tasted it…Now I will keep my eyes open for king fish….I am not sure whether i will also get it here or not…will let you know if I have any experience with the king fish….:)
I got lucky :)..I tasted some chilly fish from the yummy team(Maya) for lunch..It was really awesome. I have never had anything like this before. It was more like an Indo-Chinese fish fry. Thanks for sending a separate box for me Maya 🙂 otherwise Akhil would not have got even a piece for lunch :p. I would like to apply for the post of Yummy team fish critique/taster :p
I am really glad to know that you liked it. Will definitely send you some when I make fish recipes next time 🙂
My mom made this today. It turned out really good.