Shakshuka / Poached Eggs in Tomato Sauce
Shakshuka is a traditional Middle Eastern one-skillet breakfast dish of eggs cooked in a spicy tomato sauce. Though it’s a breakfast dish, its also great for lunch or dinner. It goes best with toasted bread..Enjoy!!
Ingredients (Serves 4)
1. Eggs – 4
2. Olive oil – 1.5 tbsp
3. Onion – 3/4 cup, chopped
Garlic – 2, minced
4. Red bell pepper – 1 small or half large, chopped
5. Tomatoes – 4 medium, chopped
6. Sugar – 1 – 2 pinches (To balance the flavors)
Cumin powder – 1/2 – 3/4 tsp
Paprika – 3/4 tsp
7. Salt and pepper powder – To taste
8.Fresh parsley – 1 tbsp, finely chopped, to garnish
9. Extra virgin olive oil – 2 tsp
Feta cheese – 1 – 2 tbsp, to garnish (optional)
1. Heat oil in a skillet at medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, little salt and saute until onion turns translucent. Add red bell pepper and saute for 2 – 3 minutes. Next add tomatoes and cook for 5 – 7 minutes until mushy. Add salt, a pinch of sugar, cumin powder, paprika and pepper powder. Cook for a few minutes.
2. Make 4 wells/holes (space them evenly) in the sauce using the spatula or a spoon. Crack the eggs into the holes one at a time. Sprinkle a tiny pinch of salt and pepper over the eggs. Cook covered at low or low-medium heat for 5 – 7 minutes until eggs are well-done or until the eggs are done to your liking. Pour 1 – 2 tsp of extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle fresh chopped parsley and feta cheese, if you like. Serve immediately with toasted bread or pita bread and hummus. Enjoy!!