Ingredients (Serves 3)
1. Basmati rice – 1 cup (Soaked in enough water for 20 minutes and then drained)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Curry powder – 1 tsp
Salt – To taste
Water – 1.5 cup
2. Oil – 1.5 tbsp
3. Onion – 1/2 cup, thinly sliced
4. Carrot – 1/3 cup, chopped
Green beans – 1/4 cup, chopped
5. Corn – 2 tbsp (optional)
Fresh / frozen green peas – 2 – 3 tbsp
6. Button mushroom / cremini mushroom – 1.5 cup, chopped
7. Worcestershire sauce – 2.5 – 3 tbsp
Soy sauce – 1 tsp
8. Fresh ground black pepper – 1/2 tsp
9. Salt – To taste
10. Spring onion – 3 tbsp, to garnish
1. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add drained rice, 1 tsp curry powder and saute for 1 – 2 minutes. Next add 1.5 cup water, enough salt and cook rice until done. Set aside to cool down (you can spread the cooked rice on a wide plate).
2. Heat 1.5 tbsp oil in a wok/ pan at high heat. Add onion and stir-fry until golden. Next add carrot, green beans and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add corn, green peas and stir-fry for a minute. Add chopped mushroom and stir-fry for a few minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce and mix well. Stir-fry for a minute or two. Finally add cooked rice and mix well. Add fresh ground black pepper. Stir-fry for a minute. Taste-check for salt. Switch off. Garnish with spring onion. Serve hot with vegetable manchurian, kung pao chicken, chilli chicken, lemon pepper prawns etc.
Recipe Courtesy – Nikhila Anand
Hi maya.. Which brand do you usually use for basmati rice ? I have been trying to find to find long basmati rice, but all the brands that I have tried produces usual length rice, when cooked. From your pic, the rice has decent length .. So just curious, which brand you are using 🙂
Thanks for sharing an excellent recipe. It is a nice one.