Fried rice is one of the most popular recipes in Asia. This is a versatile dish since you can use any combination of vegetables, meat or seafood that you like. My mother used to make it for us when we were kids and it was a treat for us. Every one have their own way of making fried rice. I got this basic recipe from vahrevah.com to which I have made a few changes. The best rice to make fried rice is left-over rice since each grain will be separate. This delicious dish is extremely easy to prepare. Be careful not to overcook the vegetables, they should be crunchy. Kids will love it.
1. Cold cooked rice – 3.5 – 4 cups (I used basmati rice)
2. Chicken breast halves (skinless boneless) – 2, finely diced
3. Green bell pepper – half, finely chopped
4. Red bell pepper – half, finely chopped
5. Carrot – 1, finely chopped
6. Beans – 50 gm, cut into thin rounds
7. Onion – half small, finely chopped
8. Garlic – 3, minced
9. Coarsely ground pepper – 1/2 tsp
10. Corn flour – 1/2 tsp
11. Soy sauce – 1 tbsp or to taste
12. Vinegar – 1 tbsp
13. Eggs – 3, beaten
14. Spring onion – 2, chopped
15. Celery – 2 stalks, chopped
16. Salt – To taste
17. Sugar – 1/2 tsp
18. Vegetable oil or butter – 1 tbsp
1) To the chicken pieces add pepper powder, few drops of egg, salt and corn flour. Mix well. Shallow fry them in oil until done.
2) Heat 1 tbsp oil or butter in a wide pan. Add chopped garlic, onion and saute till onion turns light brown. Now add beans. Saute at high heat for a minute.
3) Add carrot and bell pepper. Saute for a few minutes at high heat. Add soy sauce, vinegar and mix well. Add the chicken pieces (you can cut the fried chicken pieces into smaller pieces if you want) . Mix well.
4) Now add rice and stir fry for a few minutes. Add sugar and garnish with spring onion and celery. Check salt. Scramble the eggs in a separate pan and mix well with the rice. Serve hot.
1. Vegetarians can avoid egg and chicken.
2. Use left-over rice to make fried rice.
3. You can use other veggies like green peas, corn, broccoli, bean sprouts, babycorn, mushroom etc.